Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Things we would rather not see in our Gardens...





"A weed is any wild plant that grows in an unwanted place, especially in a garden or field where it prevents the cultivated plants from growing freely."

 Prunella would like to present you with a small posy of Scarlet Pimpernel 
(Anagallis arvensis)
A small weed found growing under her roses...




Also called the shepherd's weather glass or clock and the poor man's barometer because it closes for the day as the atmospheric pressure changes and bad weather approaches.



The Dandelion
(Taraxacum officinale)
is one of Britain's commonest weeds very common in Prunella's flower border...



It is hard to believe that dandelions haven't always been such troublesome weeds.
In Victorian times they were actually cultivated with care and eaten by the wealthy in sandwiches and salads!
The humble dandelion is packed full of nutritious vitamins A, B, C and D as well as minerals, such as iron, potassium and zinc.
Armed with this knowledge, I still do not think Prunella would knowingly munch into a cheese and dandelion sandwich.

Annoying as they may be they are also very beautiful especially when the flower finally transforms into a seed head. 


  

 



Children love to pick them, close their eyes, make a wish, and blow the seeds into the air.


Now for a herb that shares the same name as Prunella which sadly as I type this is invading poor prunella's lawn!
The bees love it!

 
Self Heal, Heal-All Herb
 Prunella Vulgaris.




In Folklore, Prunella Vulgaris was once declared to be a Holy herb and thought to be sent by God to cure all ailments of man or beast. Said to drive away the devil which lead to the beief that Heal-All was grown in Witches gardens as disguise.




 Finally, the common wasp,
(vespula vulgaris) 
or the common yellow-jacket.
They may be seen as a nuisance but are however beneficial in our gardens as they feed their young on insects that would otherwise damage crops and ornamental plants. They can also feed on house fly and blow fly larva..



Wasps are great crafters and they too produce wonderful works of art.
 The wasp's nest is a fascinating piece of engineering constructed from wood which the wasps strip from fence panels and garden sheds. 
They are indeed labours of love, though not entirely appreciated by Prunella.
In one week Prunella discovered three wasp nests. 


The first one was sited in her garden arbour just above her seat...

 


Two further nests were attached to her caravan awning whilst camping. The buff/grey colour scheme did however match the curtains.

This one just above the entrance complete with Wanda Wasp, eek...
 
 

 


Another suspended by thin paper threads from the awning roof. Prunella needed a step ladder to reach this one...

 

 

Safely removed, it makes an ideal paper cup...

 

 

"A drop of Dandelion Wine would be nice?"
 Dear Prunella, ever hopeful!

xXx
Until the next time, keep smiling,
 stay safe, happy and healthy.
Hugs to all.
xXx


Thank you kindly for your visit.
We dearly appreciate your comments and hope you had as much fun reading Prunella's Blog as we had writing it.   
Happy Blogging!





21 comments:

  1. Hello, some weeds like the dandelion are important for the bees. We need to keep the bees happy too. Prunella is brave around the wasp nest, I would stay away. Pretty photos! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear Prunella,
    The fight against unwanted weeds is endless. I don't tolerate dandelions in my flowerbeds. On the contrary Prunella vulgaris is allowed to spread on the lawn and at dry spots. Its name in Finnish is 'Niittyhumala' meaning literally Meadow High = drunkenness :) Funny, maybe the wasps get high around them. Another nuisance in my garden is Lamium album - so vigorous and spreads like hell.

    I did not know the latin name Prunella vulgaris. But from now on I'll always remember you! Have a lovely week Prunella and don't get too brave with the wasps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am not a dandelion lover, a bee lover or a wasp lover!! i know they are necessary but i don't like to see them!!! happy 4th of july to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, Prunella! I must say the photos of the dandelion are my favourites, even though I don't like that plant at all... or well, some days ago I was thinking that if it had say a pink flower, then I would love to have all the fields filled with them. :)
    Scarlet Pimpernel is very pretty, isn't it!
    Wishing you all a happy and relaxing July! Big hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another joy-filled and so useful post of yours, dearest Prunella !

    Enjoy your day, today
    and the remainder of your week with gladness,
    sending blessings across the many miles

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!:) What a delightful post with lovely artistic photos,... and many thanks for the ID of the purple plant. I didn't know I had Prunella Vulgaris in my garden!

    When I was a child, my mother used to make Dandelion tea, and I liked the taste of this drink, but have never eaten the plant. Have a good rest of the week1:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Pru. "One person's weed is another's wild flower". I don't agree to killing any natural or indigenous species but I do understand why some have other priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great shots my dear :) I love the (in german we say Pusteblume) Dandelion. And you are so brave near the wasp!
    Greetings from Germany
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    wonderful photos and the little doll is so nice.
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    Regards
    Edith from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Prunella, thank you for all this information. I actually feel very sorry for 'weeds'. They are so determined and tenacious. You have certainly made me feel I should have dandelion in my garden with your wonderful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess everything isn't what we have heard about it! I know the weeds attract bees for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoy your posts. I am another one who likes weeds, to me they are still flowers. : )
    Super shots of the yellow jacket and the nests. We have them all around our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have weeds growing in my garden too. But the flowers from the weeds in your garden are beautiful. I don't mind having them in my garden. Lol! You took a great shot of the seeds. You were so brave with the wasp's nest. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prunella Pepperpot and the Scarlet Pimpernel - perfect.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scarlet Pimpernel is really a lovely weed! I don't have that growing here, but I wish I did! Good thing that Prunella found the wasps nests. Even if they are beneficial, they don't make good neighbors......xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Prunella. Those wasp nests are actually very wonderful creations don't you think? Shame we humans seem to hate wasps when they do so much good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The definition of a weed is a pretty arbitrary thing, and I think it is measured by our own self interest. When one contemplates the unsurpassed value of dandelions as pollinator plants it is hard to dismiss it as undesirable. And in a salad it is damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What would a garden be without wasp nests and dandelion?
    Dandelion is my favourite weed (or better wild herb?) too, especially in the lawn.
    I guess wasps probably have some kind of value?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some weeds look so pretty, and who can resist blowing those dandelion seeds ...
    Those wasp nests are quite a work of art ... although I do my best to stay away from wasps!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting and the series of photos is outstanding. Fascinating look at the wasp nest. Always admire their architectural skills :)

    ReplyDelete

Prunella Pepperpot's Magical Christmas Gift...

  December has arrived and the year is almost at an end.  This will be Prunella's last post until the New Year.  Time to spend...