Monday, 25 July 2016

Bee Beautiful...


 

 

We have been basking in some glorious sunshine over the past week, such a pleasant change from all the rain we've been experiencing so far this Summer.

Prunella thought it would be a lovely idea to pack up some freshly prepared food and place it in the wicker picnic basket along with a flask of  coffee brewed that very same morning. Now to invite Francine to join her in a ride in the Jumping Jimny to the Ridgeway for a short stroll.






 

Such glorious views and lovely peace and quiet disturbed only by the sound of birdsong and the gentle buzzing of hoverflies and bees.  What a wonderful spot to enjoy their small snack.

  



 

 After returning home dear Prunella was wandering around her garden admiring her flowers along with the beautiful butterflies and bees

 

 



 







Looking to see if her Felicite Perpetue rambling rose needed tying to the trellis she noticed some semi circular holes cut out neatly from the otherwise healthy leaves.

 




 

She looked here there and everywhere to catch the culprit but no greenfly or caterpillars to be seen anywhere.

She was stumped.

Just then there was a buzz and Beyonce the Leaf-cutter Bee landed on a nice succulent green leaf where she carefully nibbled a neat hole. Such skill, Prunella was mesmerized. She then gently gathered the fresh green leaf disc until it was firmly in her grasp and off she flew to her new nest.

As fast as Prunella's little legs could carry her she ran following Beyonce the Bee as she flew with the piece of leaf almost as big as herself!

Much to Prunella's delight Beyonce headed straight to Prunella's Bug Hotel.

 

 

What a lovely bijou residence Beyonce was crafting for her young. The larvae were very lucky to have such a skilled and caring mother Bee.

 


  When Beyonce was happy with her work she sealed the bamboo with her saliva and a large piece of leaf . Then off she flew.

 



 

Prunella hopes to see the new young Leaf-cutter Bees buzzing around in April of next year. She will have to make sure there are some beautiful Spring flowers planted in her garden with plenty of nice fresh pollen and nectar for the young bees to feed  on.

 

 

Prunella is so impressed by the workmanship that goes into creating these wonderful little homes.

 



Until the next time, 
stay safe, happy and healthy. 
Hugs to all.

xXx  



Thank you kindly for your visit and we dearly appreciate your comments. 
We hope you had as much fun reading Prunella's Blog as we had writing it.
Happy Blogging!

Sharing with Riitta K's Flower Wednesday linkup 9

 

27 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I wonder if we have any insects like that.
    The flower photos are each one more beautiful than the other. I don't know where to start! :) Well, the hydrangea is surely one of my favourites. I was surprised to see that you still have lupins blooming.
    I so wish I would manage to take macros like yours. The spiny centers of the purple cone-flowers are splendid.
    What is the pretty plant in the photo number 14?
    Thank you for the lovely post. Have a happy new week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara, thank you for your lovely words. My lupins were over so I cut the seed heads off and they've had a second flush, not as large as the first but still pretty. The pink flowers are Penstemons with delphiniums behind.
    I have a canon like yours but I find my sony bridge much easier to use. I get frustrated changing the lens on the canon. All the red kite photos are taken with the sony. My husband is a big canon fan.
    Have a wonderful week Sara with hugs from Prunella :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know Penstemons are so beautiful! :)
      I too cut the seed heads away from almost all the lupins, but there are very few blooms any more.
      Thank you for your comment today! Those red currants grow on old, wild shrubs and we are rather relaxed with them. My father did, however, hang a hawk-looking bird scarer above them. We'll see if it works.
      Wishing you lovely summer days! <3

      Delete
  3. That was so cool. I didn't even know bees did that. Wonderful captures of the process.
    Nice that Prunella and Francine shared the sunglasses. : )
    Pictures of all the blooms are so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bees are fascinating aren't they, so many different ones.
      Have a lovely week Happyone :)x

      Delete
  4. Well my dear Prunella, I have to say that I am mesmerized with your fun story and your fabulous photos! Quite outstanding and so much fun & delight. Your macro of Echinachea is stunning, and your purple clematis and the bee in purple make me feel I'm looking at the Nature's art in some fancy gallery. But in fact Prunella's garden IS a fancy gallery of beauty. I do wish Prunella can enjoy a lot of buzz of the new baby bees next spring.

    Enjoy your summer days and the Natures wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Riitta for your lovely comments and hosting Flower Wednesday. I love seeing all of the beautiful flowers you and your readers share. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, you've got me in tears of nostalgia.
    I lived on that map for 25 years - 200 double paces from the ridgeway, with the peace, quiet and beauty that you describe.
    Sadly our farm life came to an end two years ago and I am still mourning and yearning. It is hard to get used to the loss of heaven on earth.


    INTO my heart on air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

    That is the land of lost content, 5
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again.

    Your stories are so gorgeous and the photos to accompany your trip so lovely that I get cheered up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanna, such sad words. The Ridgeway is indeed a very peaceful place with some lovely countryside to enjoy. How wonderful to have lived there for 25 years. I am sure you have some very many happy memmories. Such a lovely poem you have shared, thank you.
      Have a beautiful week wherever you are :)

      Delete
  7. Hello, looks like a lovely stroll and picnic. Beautiful images. I like the series on the bee hotel. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you back Eileen. I can't wait to see images of your travels and wildlife captures. Have a great week :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful flowers in your garden! We have leaf cutter bees living in our little bug hotel too, they are fascinating to watch:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, they are fascinating to watch. It takes them hours to finish one! Have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  9. Sou very nice Prunella.
    Yours:)*

    ReplyDelete

  10. What more gorgeous flowers !!!!! Your garden is very beautiful and flowery Prunella !!!!!!
    We love to meet Prunella's Bug Hotel, and we make here at home too !!!!
    We were very happy to read your comment on our blog !!!!! Thanks for the visit !!!!!
    And we love to know your blog !!!! Is very beautiful !!!!!
    Have a great day Prunella!!!!
    A meow of Frida, Sofia and Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Prunella,
    your flower photos are uniquely beautiful. The photo of the rose is my favorit.
    I think you had a wonderful picnic, the two dolls laugh so happy .
    Thank you for visiting my blog, Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating and absolutely gorgeous!!! Here in Montreal, Canada, we have had some high heat and humidity and sadly some flowers have wilted and dried up...like the lilac tree beside the house where I live, but the flowers that are doing O.K. are the hibiscus, lilies and daisies. Thank you so much for sharing, your blog is lovely and your photos gorgeous and refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Prunella,
    truly a wonderful blog. Very nice told and I see great scenic foot of flowers and insects. The sunhat pictures 8 is a beautiful macro. I enjoyed your photos and your story :-)
    Warm regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers and bees from your garden. Lovely story of the leaf cutting bee and the bug hotel. Just to let you know I am your newest G+ follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a delight to discover your blog through Sarah's, 'My Woodland Garden'. Prunella brings a big smile to my face, as does your stunning flower photography.
    I had no knowledge of this bee or of Bug Houses. I just love how you have captured the bees creation of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your flower photo's are brilliant, and such lovely colours too.
    Gardens can give so much enjoyment.

    I really enjoyed reading about the leaf cutting bee and the bug hotel!

    Enjoy this last day of July, and all good wishes for the new month of August.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving all these beautiful photos! Happy Sunday ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet friend, what a charming and delightful post. How I love visiting with you and going on your wonderful adventures :)

    I must say the bug hotel was quite fascinating and I will have to show my young son as I know he would enjoy it.

    Hugs and joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great story Prunella. Congratulations in enticing bees to nest in your garden. I wish many others could follow your example with lovely flowers and a home for bees.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Nature is so amazing, Prunella! Loved seeing all the pretty flowers. The rose is gorgeous. Love and hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. What gorgeous flowers !!! Your garden is very beautiful !! I love your clematis !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning flowers.
    Beautiful pictures.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete